Values and Principles
- Commit to ethical standards and best practices
- Approach all issues from a student-focus, teacher-focus and community-focus
- Respect and support each individual person’s and our business growth
- Embrace innovation and challenge
- Work to ensure students thrive and enjoy outdoor learning
- Pursue excellence and aim for high achievement
- Promote diversity, collaborative teamwork, empathy and trust to achieve results
- Conduct business, and provide services and products, based on assessment of site and community facts, data and direct observation
- Act as a ‘global citizen’ with regard to ethics and integrity, while paying attention to individual and community culture and conventions
What Are Some Core Principles of Garden-Based Education?
In our garden-based education programs, we use and encourage guidelines and evidenced-based practices summarized succinctly by Nathan Larson in his downloadable ebook (2015) Teaching in Nature's Classroom - Core Principles of Garden-Based Education.
"...the practices discussed are just plain good teaching period and
are just as valuable to classroom teachers as non-formal educators."
School Garden Specialist, Division of Health & Wellness
Office of the State Superintendent of Education, DC